Nature News Issue 16: Winter 2008
Issue 16 of JNCC's newsletter Nature News. Focusing on the organisation's national and international conservation work.
Nature News is a way of keeping you informed of JNCC's
national and international conservation work.
The following is a summary of the information that is included
in this issue:
- Introduction by JNCC's new Chairman, Peter Bridgewater.
- JNCC signs up to membership of influential new group of
European Nature Conservation Agencies (ENCA).
Seabirds at Sea Team's fieldwork
- This summer, JNCC's Seabirds at Sea Team conducted a five-week
expedition to collect data on the foraging locations of
red-throated divers around the Isle of North Uist in the Outer
Offshore conservation zones
- JNCC is currently undertaking work to identify the most
suitable sites to be put forward as Special Protection Areas (SPAs)
for birds in the marine environment.
Seabed mapping explained
- JNCC, as lead partner of the transnational mapping European
Seabed Habitats (MESH) project, has launched a new online resource,
the MESH Guide to Marine Habitat Mapping.
Species and habitat review
- A new UK list of Priority Species and Habitats has been
published, containing 1,149 species and 65 habitats.
Biofuels - a Pandora's Box?
- JNCC is working with government at national and EU level to
develop sustainability criteria to encourage biofuels
- Q & A with JNCC Chair Peter Bridgewater.
You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this
Available free from JNCC
A4, softback, 8 pages
Please cite as: JNCC, (2008-16), Nature News Issue 16: Winter 2008, A4, softback, 8 pages, ISSN 1479-3857