Nature News 11
Issue 11 featuring key areas of work where JNCC is making a special contribution to nature conservation in the UK, Europe and internationally.
Nature News is a way of keeping you informed of JNCC's
national and international conservation work.
The following is a summary of the information that is included
in this issue.
Chairman's Introduction - A State of
- JNCC has set up a company limited by guarantee, a
not-for-profit organisation, quite common in the public sector, and
is delivering its responsibilities through this company.
High marks for Annual Report
- JNCC's drive to make its message more accessible to a wider
audience received further recognition, with our Annual Report
2004/2005 achieving two major accolades.
- A prestigious prize for Britain's best botanical book of the
year has been awarded to the six authors of An Illustrated Guide to
British Upland Vegetation, published by JNCC.
Sounding off (shore)
- Mapping the seabed with cutting-edge technology.
- JNCC acting as Secretariat for the UK Red Squirrel Group is
hosting a new website dedicated to improving the links between the
local, regional and UK red squirrel groups, and to deliver
postitive conservation action for one of the UK's most threatened
UK mammals - winners and losers
- A first for UK mammals: population trends for more than half of
all UK species.
- This year JNCC has produced a new publication series: Species
Status. This series is the public face of the Species Status
Share and enjoy!
- JNCC and the Convention on Biological Diversity Secretariat
have created the web-based Ecosystem Approach Sourcebook, which
provides a tool to implement the ecosystem approach and share
experiences from existing projects.
Facts on falling feathers
- The full results of the JNCC's Seabird Monitoring Programme
have just been published in Seabird numbers and breeding success in
Britain and Ireland, 2004.
You will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this
Available free from JNCC
A4, 8 page leaflet
Please cite as: JNCC, (2005-11), Nature News 11, A4, 8 page leaflet, ISSN 1479-3857