UK Forum - Biodiversity Indicators
Biodiversity indicators portray the status of, and trends in,
biodiversity, as well as related pressures and responses. They
operate at international, UK, country, regional, local and sectoral
levels. Indicator initiatives share common data resources and a
common purpose of enabling policy development, and/or actions to
take better account of the implications for biodiversity.
However, differences also exist between biodiversity indicators,
such as differences in context, methods of calculation,
presentation and interpretation.
The Forum exists to facilitate exchange of experience
in the development and use of biodiversity indicators in the
UK, at a range of scales and including sectoral applications. Its
focus is on biodiversity indicators only.
Specifically, the objectives of the Forum are to:
• take stock of activity on biodiversity indicators in the
• explore the need for a network for consultation, information
exchange and co-ordination;
• provide information on UK and European initiatives on
• identify data sources currently available which would
support effective development and use of indicators;
• identify gaps in information, shared problems and research
The UK Biodiversity Indicators Forum meets as necessary. The
presentations and meeting reports are available here.